Monday, March 31, 2008

Can Lifting Heavy Weights Continually In Your Boxing Strength Training Workouts Make You Slow?

This is the biggest reason the myth of lifting light weights with high reps exists. Thinking heavy weight training makes you slow. Well, can it? I discuss this in this Q/A.

I have been boxing for roughly six months. Before boxing I stayed in the gym and lifted heavily basically trying to bulk up. I was maxing out on the bench at 205. My question is if I continue to lift heavily will it affect my hand speed? I want to have a more developed upper body but I am not sure if heavy lifting will benefit me in terms of a more developed frame while maintaining hand speed.


Don't waste your time with light weights and high reps.. I really can't believe people think this is the way to lift. Enough!!

If you JUST lift heavy weights without improving RFD, speed, you can become slower. BUT performing true plyometrics will increase speed/power, RFD.

Even performing speed strength reps with the bench press won't make you as fast as plyometrics training because you decelerate with the bar at the end of the speed bench movement, to prevent this add bands, or chains to the barbell.

The bench press is just a general exercise. Strengthen your core in rotation, strengthen your lats to better decelerate the punch, and legs to develop fight ending power. Yes I'm repeating this as I stated it in my last post this is what you want ingrained in your mind and practice.

Again, don't perform light weight with high reps, you won't get faster or more powerful this way, you get that type of muscle endurance training with your bag and mitt work.

Perform max effort lifts to build base strength, ( Chins, under, over grip chins, neutral grip pull up, 1 arm row in rotation, exercises like this to develop your upper body then perform plyometrics to become frighteningly fast and powerful! Just hope that your competition is lifting with light weight and high reps, cause kicking their asses will be cake with your added power! :-)

Click here http://boxingperformance.com/ for proven strength training, and corrective exercise programs.

No comments: