Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Gym Notes: Patience A Missing Ingrediant In Coaching Fighters?

I have a young fighter that has been developing nicely. I've been taking my time with him and making sure he absorbs and displays the basics before moving on. He's been with me for about three months now and in any other gym he probably would have had his first fight by now.

I'm patient though. I want to see certain things repeatedly done before even thinking about his first fight. Tonight in sparring he started to display what I want to see.

I feel patience is very important ingredient in coaching. Fuck, rush a kid in fight sports and you make him love shy, make a fighter glove shy and it's pretty much over.

Patience allows a coach and fighter to gel, allows a coach to learn more about his fighter, and allows the fighter to develop at a pace they're comfortable with.

Some gifted fighters can obviously be pushed and developed faster, but to watch a young fighter start to take impressive form lets you know that the patience involved was indeed warranted and needed.

Take a step forward, then take two step backwards, but steady progressing never the less with a patient coaching style allows a fighter to really become all that they can be.

You know what they say...Haste makes waste, and it ruins untapped potential.

2 comments:

Nick Raymon said...

This is fascinating, and any cross-correlation adds confidence in any sub-component's reading.
Stream NFL Football

Best Gym in Calgary said...

Thanks for sharing & I like this Boxing Training Info .I would like to recommend Calgary Gym Classes also for best fitness .