Thursday, March 27, 2008

Q/A: Why I Leave The Bench Out Of My Boxing Strength Training Programs.


Hey Rob,
In a follow up to my last question (thanks for the quick and in-depth reply!) - did you leave any bench press or pressing variations out on purpose?
If so, why?

Another question, related again to my previous question. Is going heavy all the time, with all exercises (ie keeping it within the 5-6 rep range, and keeping it tough), does this over-tire the CNS?
I don't believe so, but I have read it before.


Charis, Look at the video I pasted here of The "G-Man" Gerald McCellan. Watch where the power comes from.




The bench press is a good general exercise however my thinking is when training boxers I don't want to spend precious time with the push pattern when the power comes from the fighters core rotation, legs, lats, AND relaxing-not being tight when punching. If I was to use a push pattern I would use unilateral db presses add some rotation, then ascend to a standing integrated 1 arm cable push, and then ascend to a 1 arm med ball explosive push/throw with rotation on a rebounder for higher carryover. I don't want to spend that time when I can get better results addressing the legs, core, lats. Why add more pushing when you spend so much time in a flexed posture? I have used the bench before that's why I feel this way. Also keep in mind how much time a fighter spends in flexion. Boxers develop pronated shoulders, tight upper abs, and a kyphotic posture, Prone cobras, Scaptations, foam rolling the T-spine, db ext. shoulder rotations, forward ball rolls, barbell roll outs, blast strap roll outs, also stretching the tight muscles, this is what you need to focus on to improve your boxing performance.

You are not going to be using 5 reps Charis for all your exercises, Just your Max lift that day as to not burn out the cns. A 5 rm is a lot different feel than a 1-3 rm. So for a lower day Perform ex. 5 rep front squat, Upper Day, 5 rep Chin Up.. keep the other 2-3 exercises at 6-8, 10-15 can be used for injury prevention, corrective exercise. Core use resistance with reps of anywhere between 8-15.

Click here http://boxingperformance.com/ for proven strength training, and corrective exercise programs.

No comments: