Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Gym Notes: Establishing The Jab.

One of the rules I have in my gym is throw few single jabs. It instantly pisses me off if I see a fighter do it more than once. I get enraged if I see a fighter flick it or paw with it even more.

The jab is an awesome weapon when used correctly. When watching the Mosley-Margarito fight yet again I was impressed with how Mosley doubled and tripled up his jab. Doing that aloud him to land his power shots. The conductor that got Shane working the jab in that way was of course Nazim Richardson. He knows boxing and knows what the jab can do. The jab allowed Shane to do what he wanted to do to Antonio, keep him at bay, out of rhythm, and mesmerized by it.

Watch that fight again and see for yourself. Fuck those flicking jabs which Shane does still throw a lot of. Solid double and triple jabs allow you to control the rhythm and distance of a fighter. It just opens up many opportunities while closing the opposing fighters would be opportunities as well.












Need more proof on the potency of the jab? Study the great Larry Holmes and watch how he positioned fighters and controlled them with his jab. Yeah, he did it for eight years as heavyweight champion of the world!


Visit http://boxingperformance.com/ to master how to throw a bone jarring jab!

No comments: